Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 262: I got robbed!

A thief broke into my suite and stole my laptop and my digital camera.

I walked into my suite tonight after work and didn't realized thieves took the items until about an hour later. In a robbery, sometimes they throw things around and go thru drawers and closets to see if there are any valuables they can steal. Nothing like that happened. My drawers and it's contents are fine.

My parents and I were heading out to dinner. I like taking pictures of the food I eat. I downloaded some pictures from my camera last night and I left my camera on my couch. Today I was looking for my camera on my couch and couldn't see it. I asked my parents if they had it or saw it. They didn't have it or saw it. I turned around and noticed that my laptop was missing also. I felt so devastated, hurt and confused. During dinner we talked about how it could've happened. My dad said I didn't lock my door last night. But I was sure I did. He noticed that the door was unlocked. I asked my mom to ask my cousin, who lives in the suite next to me, if she saw or heard anything. She didn't see or hear anything. My parents tried to figure out what time they were in the house and what time they left. They figured that they left the house at 11 am and came back at around 3 pm. If the thief was swift and quick, no one would've heard him.

My mom asked me about preventing the robbery from happening. I have been doing the same thing for about a year. I use it while I'm blow drying my hair in the mornings. I use it after dinner and night time when I check my emails and write on my blog. It's a pattern that maybe someone (a stalker?) has been following and knows when I leave my house and when I come back. My laptop is usually on my coffee table because I use it everyday. Maybe I have to hide it every night when I'm finished with it? Maybe don't own so many items that are valuable?? :P

It made my night really crappy. I felt so violated. I had so many pictures on my laptop. I did make a backup a month ago. Luckily I did. I would've cried if I didn't. Pictures are irreplaceable. Luckily I didn't have any files with personal information in it.

I don't think I will be reporting it to the police or anything. I don't think they will be able to do much about it. I don't think insurance covers my losses. It is hard to prove a break in without any visible signs of forced entry. I guess I just have to suck it up and accept my lost :(

1 comment:

  1. oh no! That really stinks to hear, Lisa. :( Try reporting it... the worst that could happen is they don't do anything about it which puts you in the same position as now. But who knows? Maybe insurance will recover at least some of your losses.

    ReplyDelete